Best mass gainer is a supplement that contains a lot of healthy nutrients namely carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, minerals, fiber, a high concentration of calories and other essential macronutrients. It is a product that is formulated to help those people who want to gain weight along with muscle mass. Thus, the best mass gainer is designed for people who are skinny, those who are regular gym goers, athletes and body builders.
- 1 Mass Gainers vs Weight Gainers
- 2 Mass Gainer vs Whey Protein
- 3 Types of carbohydrates in mass gainers
- 4 Impact of mass gainers on your body
- 5 Benefits of mass gainers
- 6 Buyer’s Guide – Best Mass Gainer
- 7 Top 10 Best Mass Gainer 2018
- 7.1 1. BSN Syntha – 6 Protein Powder
- 7.2 2. Vega Sport Protein Powder
- 7.3 3. MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey Protein Powder
- 7.4 4. CytoSport Cyto Gainer
- 7.5 5. Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Weight Gainer Protein Powder
- 7.6 6. BCAA Branched Chain Essential Amino Acids Powder by BulkSupplements
- 7.7 7. Naked Whey 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder
- 7.8 8. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder
- 7.9 9. Naked Mass – All-Natural Weight Gainer Protein Powder
- 7.10 10. Optimum Nutrition Pro Gainer Weight Gainer Protein Powder
- 8 User’s Guide
- 9 FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
- 9.1 Q1. How many calories are there in a mass gainer?
- 9.2 Q2. Which is the best mass gainer?
- 9.3 Q3. Can mass gainer be harmful for you?
- 9.4 Q4. Which is the best form for gaining weight?
- 9.5 Q5. Can mass gainer make me fat?
- 9.6 Q6. When should I take my mass gainer – pre or post workout?
- 9.7 Q7. Is it mandatory to take mass gainer on your rest days?
- 9.8 Q8. Without working out, is it safe to take my mass gainer?
- 10 Conclusion
Mass Gainers vs Weight Gainers
Technically these two terms are not interchangeable. Although many products claim to be the best mass gainer they are not pure weight gaining supplements. People who want to gain lean muscle, opt for mass gainer supplements. Mass gainers not only increase lean muscle mass but also cause weight gain. Special macronutrient formula of the mass gainer results in enhancing muscle growth and retarding fat accumulation.
Conversely, weight gainers are usually used by underweight or malnourished people. The aim is to gain weight. This is achieved by the higher carbohydrate and calorie content present in weight gainer supplements.
Mass Gainer vs Whey Protein
Majority of mass gainers have whey protein as their ingredient. Whey protein is the tool for building muscle mass. But alone it has not been found as effective as in combination with a mass gainer. The reason is simple, mass gainers also contain carbohydrates and fats whereas whey is just a protein. So, mass gainers fill the void of macronutrients that is left behind if whey protein is taken alone.
Types of carbohydrates in mass gainers
Generally, the best mass gainer is a rich source of carbohydrates (carbs) and calories. There are two types of carbs, simple and complex, constituting a mass gainer.
These are simple sugars.
These include polysaccharides and oligosaccharides. In a majority of the cases, the best mass gainer uses the complex carbs as it helps in gaining weight and muscle mass without any side effects.
Impact of mass gainers on your body
Although calories and macronutrients contained in a best mass gainer, can also be obtained from food. But consuming such large amounts of food to match the mass gainers formulated ingredients, is not a piece of cake for majority of the users.
Thus, mass gainers not only provide the calories but it boosts energy levels, increases stamina and adds bulk to your muscles.
Benefits of mass gainers
Some of the important benefits linked with the best mass gainer group of supplements include;
- Increase in consumption of calories.
- Balanced ratios of macronutrients.
- Gives energy with a bulk.
- Aids in faster food digestion.
- Creatine and other beneficial ingredients are delivered.
- Aids in muscle growth and recovery.
- Covers any nutritional deficits that may be present.
- Keeps the weight gain mostly muscle with little fat.
Buyer’s Guide – Best Mass Gainer
With innumerable brands of mass gainers available in the market, how can we be certain to make the right purchase for ourselves? Well, here are some tips to help you guide in selecting the best mass gainer for yourself.
Carb and Protein Ratio
Best mass gainer contains complex carbs and proteins in the ratio of 3:1. Also, make sure that the source of your protein is whey protein, calcium caseinate, and micellar casein.
Basically, mass gainers are available in 3 forms: powder, shake and a pill. Now you have to select which is the form that will suit you and can be easily ingested by you.
Price matters a lot as even the best mass gainer is not a single dose supplement. You will have to take it for a long time to achieve maximum results. So, do your research and choose a mass gainer that is economical and offers a maximum number of serving per product.
Always go for the authentic, famous and experienced brands. A lot of cheaper and fake brands are circulating in the market. But do not compromise your health for something you thought you purchased at a great bargain price.
In a normal diet, creatine uses carbohydrates to convert into creatine phosphate. This reaction is the source of powerful energy generation. Mass gainers make this energy producing process a single step method by providing the body, creatine, and carbohydrates simultaneously.
Different mass gainers come in different varieties suitable for different caloric needs. Check the ingredient list to determine what formula and calories are best suited for you. So, understand your calorie requirement to purchase the right mass gainer for yourself.
Mass gainers come in a variety of flavors. Choose a flavor that you like to make its consumption a pleasure and again.
Some mass gainers do not mix well with a spoon and require a blender for proper mixing. Select one that is easy to mix and consume.
Top 10 Best Mass Gainer 2018
This product is manufactured in USA. It contains all the top-quality ingredients and essentials of a successful mass gainer. A tag of Amazon’s choice supplements, proves the effectiveness and popularity of this supplement. Currently it boosts 4.7/5 stars on the Amazon site.
- It contains lecithin (soy) and milk.
This supplement provides a complete multisource mixture of top quality proteins. These proteins are plant-based and derived from pea, pumpkin, organic sunflower seed and alfalfa. These show excellent results were the building and repairing of muscles is concerned. It is a gluten-free supplement with 1 billion CFU probiotics. It is a certified vegan supplement with no GMO. Also, it does not contain artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors.
Its Amazon rating is 4.1/5 stars.
- Its price is little on the costly side.
This is another top mass gainer receiving Amazon’s choice tag. It is tasty and mixes well. Also, its banned substance tested and certified by Informed Choice. So, its safe for athletes and anyone sweating to build a great body. Amazon ranking is 4.2/5 stars.
- Contains soy, milk, tree nuts, egg, peanuts, wheat, shellfish, sesame and fish. All can cause an allergic reaction in susceptible individuals.
This supplement is a powerhouse of complex carbohydrates and proteins. It is designed to refuel your muscle and liver glycogen once you have finished working out. It also contains creatine and glutamine which is essential for rapid muscle growth and recovery. There are no simple sugars like fructose or sucrose present in it. It has an Amazon ranking of 4.5/5 stars.
- Some users do not like its taste.
- Some users are not satisfied with its high cholesterol content.
High efficiency, a very effective supplement that contains 5 protein sources. It is both fast and slow digesting providing fuel to the muscles along with enhancing their performance. It is banned substance tested with a University tested formula especially beneficial for athletes. Its Amazon rating is 4.3/5 stars.
- Some users find its taste too sweet.
Branched chained amino acids are known for boosting energy and rapid muscle mass growth. Optimized ratio of L-leucine, L-isoleucine and L-valine, 3:1:1, forms the branched scaffold that ensures positive weight and muscle gain. This supplement is known for enhancing protein synthesis, muscle building with resultant minimum tissue damage.
It has an Amazon ranking of 4.5/5 stars. It is lab tested for verifying the authenticity of its ingredients.
- This supplement is a little costly.
It has only one ingredient; 100% grass-fed pure whey protein. It does not have any additives, colors, artificial sweeteners, GMO. Growth hormone, soy or gluten. The source of the whey is dairy farms that ensure a product rich in amino acids and glutathione. To guarantee zero contamination, this supplement is cold processed. It is absolutely free from contaminants like acids or bleach. The cold process enhances the buildup of naturally occurring proteins within the supplement.
It has an Amazon ranking of 4.5/5 stars and it is on the Amazon’s Choice list.
- Users allergic to milk products or soy will not be able to take this supplement.
This amazing supplement comes in 24 delicious flavors. Its suitable for both men and women. Its gluten free and helps in quick muscle recovery. It is 100% whey protein and the majority of the users prefer this product over other supplements. It has an Amazon rating of 4.4/5 stars.
- It has lactose.
- Contains lecithin. It should be avoided by people allergic to soy or milk.
It is one of the most popular supplement among users. Its choice of ingredients along with the absence of any fillers or additives makes it an ideal mass gainer. Multi-phase clean natural proteins like grass-fed whey and casein, provide the optimal amino acids for maximum mass gain. Its complex carbohydrates are derived from gluten-free sources. It comes with an Amazon rating of 4.3/5 stars and bears the “Amazon’s Choice” label.
- This supplement is tasteless. Some users cannot consume it without adding some tasty ingredient to it.
According to the top ingredients used and highly productive results seen, this supplement might be the best mass gainer in the market. It has a rich combination of calories, fats, proteins, and complex carbohydrates. This supplement is a source providing sustained energy to your body. This channels the complex carbohydrates and fibers into your body with the minimum amount of sugar.
Micronutrients like 26 vitamins and essential mineral are also present in this supplement that enhance the effects of the macronutrients along with building and recovering lean muscle bulk.
It has a rating of 4.4/5 stars on the Amazon site.
- Individuals who are sensitive to whey or milk products cannot take this supplement.
It is important that you use the mass gainer according to your requirements. A single serving of a mass gainer can give you anywhere from 350 to 1200 plus calories. So, to get the right proportions for yourself, you should know how to use the mass gainer.
Although you should follow the instructions given on the mass gainers’ box. But as a general rule 3 cups of mass gainer mixed in 24 ounces of milk is recommended for most users. This may be too high a dose for most people. So, it is best that you use smaller quantities in gaps for its proper digestion.
Here are some useful steps as to how to use mass gainer properly.
1. It is highly recommended to mixing supplement with milk and not water. If mixed with water, you will lose 120 calories and 8 grams of proteins per serving.
2. The supplement can be taken anytime. But for optimum results, its advisable to take it 30 minutes into your exercise program as muscle building is at its peak then.
3. If you see lumps when mixing the supplement with liquid in a shaker or blender, it is recommended to break down the lumps. Well, the blended supplement will digest better.
4. Generally, 1 to 2 scoops of the mass gainer are sufficient for most users. But again, understand your needs and adjust the dose of mass gainer accordingly.
5. If you abide by these rules along with regular exercise routine, you should gain 2 to 4 pounds of lean muscle per week.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How many calories are there in a mass gainer?
Calories vary in different brands and types of mass gainers. You will have to check on the label how many calories per serving are present in a particular supplement. Know your need to buy the correct mass gainer for yourself.
Q2. Which is the best mass gainer?
Everyone has their preferences where mass gainers are concerned. But looking at the macro and micro ingredients offered along with the results, our research is inclined to place Optimum Nutrition and Naked Mass in the list of top contenders.
Q3. Can mass gainer be harmful for you?
No mass gainers are not bad for you. But if you are not coupling the supplement with intense exercise program then it is highly recommended that the supplement should not be taken.
Q4. Which is the best form for gaining weight?
Mass gainers come in different forms, but powders and shakes are the most popular. But then again, it will be your preference as to which form suits you. Generally, powder form can be easily mixed and consumed. Also, shakes loaded with nutrition and calories, are another tasty alternative.
Q5. Can mass gainer make me fat?
No, it will not make you fat provided to follow a regular strict intensive exercise program that will burn all that energy and calories provided by the mass gainer. If you do not combine intensive workouts with your mass gainer then you will definitely gain weight (fat).
Q6. When should I take my mass gainer – pre or post workout?
Generally, you can drink half of the supplement 1 to 2 hours before starting your workout. But technically, it is advisable that you should take the majority of the supplement’s proportion post workout. The reason being that your muscles need energy and calories, most at that time. On consuming protein and energy packed supplement, you promote muscle building.
Q7. Is it mandatory to take mass gainer on your rest days?
Yes, but you should take your mass gainer just once in a day on your rest day.
Q8. Without working out, is it safe to take my mass gainer?
Mass gainers are rich in calories and energy. If you will take mass gainers without following any workout programs, this will result in calories that will be over and above your daily calorie requirement. This will lead to a gain in weight.
Also, if you are consuming mass gainer more than your caloric demands, then whether you are exercising or not, you will gain weight. So, balance your exercise workout with the mass gainer calories you are consuming.
The market is flooded now with weight and mass gainers. But which is the best mass gainer of them all. Well, its not as simple as that. Choices vary from individual to individual. But in this article, we have tried to put together what we think are the top best mass gainers.
We have outlined their potentials with drawbacks. Also, we have highlighted the different factors directly associated with mass gainers like their correct selection, their correct usage and points to consider when buying them.
We hope this article along with your educated decision will help you decide which is the best mass gainer for you. So, why wait. Let’s hop onto the health track that leads straight to a fit healthy body and mind.