- 1 How To Drink Green Tea For Weight Loss – Just a tea or much more…
- 2 Matcha Green Tea … Even better than normal green tea
- 3 Health benefits associated with green tea
- 4 Losing weight naturally with Green Tea
- 4.1 Substances in Green Tea that help in losing weight
- 4.2 Green Tea mobilizes fat from the fat cells
- 4.3 Fat burning process in enhanced by Green Tea especially during exercise
- 4.4 Green Tea boosts metabolic rate to burn more calories daily
- 4.5 Reduces appetite
- 4.6 Green Tea reduces fat specifically abdominal fat
- 5 Optimal Green Tea consumption daily for beneficial effects
- 6 How to brew Green Tea for weight loss
- 7 Diet suggestions for drinking Green Tea for weight loss
How To Drink Green Tea For Weight Loss – Just a tea or much more…
Green tea is a drink that is seeing the pinnacle of popularity nowadays. It has now become one of the most popular drinks and stands second just behind water, in consumption worldwide. Although, its benefits seem to overflow, its main recognition has turned out to be an excellent health drink with weight losing properties.
Green tea is made from the top 2 leaves along with the bud of the Camellia Sinensis plant. After the leaves are plucked, they are steamed, rolled and dried to prevent fermentation which stops the oxidation process. This prevents the leaves from getting brown, and thus the green tea leaves retain their natural green color. So, the amount of oxidation the tea leaves are allowed to undergo before its cessation determines the kind of tea you will get. Green tea has the least oxidized tea leaves among all the tea varieties.
Matcha Green Tea … Even better than normal green tea
Matcha is a special variety found in the form of finely powdered green tea. The matcha is made from the leaves of the Camellia Sinensis tea bushes, which have been covered to prevent exposure to direct sunlight. The shade over these tea bushes stimulates them to produce more chlorophyll, which results in the growth of leaves which are not only a darker shade of green but show increased amino acid production. These leaves are then handpicked and converted to matcha green tea.
Nutritional values of Matcha green tea are exceptional. Its one serving is equivalent to 10 servings of regularly brewed green tea. Also, it has 137 times more antioxidants as compared to normal green tea.
Types of green tea
Green tea is available in the market in different forms.
- Green tea is available in bottles, sweetened with natural sugar or artificial sweetener.
- It marketed as single tea bags.
- It’s also available as loose green tea leaves.
- Instant powders of green tea are also available.
- Available as green tea supplements, in the form of capsules or liquid extracts.
Health benefits associated with green tea
Green tea is not just a flavored drink. A cascade of health benefits is associated with this drink. It has a multitude of beneficial bioactive compounds at its disposal which are nutritious and have anti-inflammatory, detoxifying and antioxidants properties.
Following are the potential benefits of green tea, as shown by the latest studies.
- Prevents cancer especially those related to breast, bladder, ovaries, bowel, esophageal, lungs, prostate, skin and gastric.
- Benefits the heart.
- Lowers cholesterol.
- Reduces the risk of stroke.
- Lowers the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Promotes weight loss.
- Positive results regarding inflammatory skin conditions like psoriasis and dandruff.
- Enhances cognitive functions of the brain especially the working memory.
- A strong indication of their role in reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
Losing weight naturally with Green Tea
Green tea comes loaded with bioactive substances which have proven successful for reducing weight. Now let us see how this fat burning process works.
Substances in Green Tea that help in losing weight
There are certain biochemical compounds that are released when green tea leaves are dipped in hot water. The important ones released are:
Caffeine: Green tea contains about 24-40 mg of caffeine in a cup which is much less than a cup of coffee (100-200 mg). But even this small quantity of caffeine is enough to cause a mild stimulant effect that has shown to help in the fat burning process.
Antioxidants: The most potent of the group are called catechins. Its important member is EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate), which is known for its metabolism boosting powers.
Green Tea mobilizes fat from the fat cells
To lose weight, first, the fat has to be broken down and then transferred into the bloodstream where it can be utilized as energy. EGCG inhibits the enzyme that breaks down norepinephrine, a hormone which signals fat breakdown, leading to increased levels of norepinephrine in the blood. Its increased levels result in greater stimulation of the fat cells leading to more breakdown of fat.
Caffeine complemented the action of EGCG and combined fatter is released into the blood to be used as energy.
Fat burning process in enhanced by Green Tea especially during exercise
Studies have shown that green tea users burned 17% more fat than those who were not on any green tea supplements. In another study, it was observed that after 8 weeks of green tea consumption, the fat burning process was enhanced both during exercise and at rest.
Green Tea boosts metabolic rate to burn more calories daily
Green tea has shown to burn 3-4% more calories per day as compared to those who do not use green tea. This boost in metabolism leading to fat burning has been making strongly evident in certain studies.
One of those studies showed that obese people after 3 months of using green tea extract, burned 183 more calories per day as compared to normal people.
In addition, green tea extracts have proven to increase the fat burning process even at rest.
Although studies have shown conflicting results, still it is thought that green tea helps in reducing weight by reducing the appetite. The decrease in appetite leads to consumption of lesser calories by the individual and that too without any effort.
Green Tea reduces fat specifically abdominal fat
The human body has 2 types of fat, the subcutaneous fat present under the skin and the abdominal fat (visceral fat) which is present around the internal organs. The abdominal fat is dangerous and harmful as it causes inflammation along with insulin resistance. Both these conditions are strongly linked to type 2 diabetes and heart diseases.
Although fat loss results are modest, the major proportion of fat loss is abdominal fat. Loss of visceral fat reduces the risk of developing many fatal diseases leading to long, robust life.
Optimal Green Tea consumption daily for beneficial effects
Again, conflicting studies blur the evidence as to what is the optimal amount of green tea consumption to achieve its maximum beneficial effects. Some claim that just one cup of green tea per day is enough for them. While another claim that 5 or more cups of green tea must be consumed to reap its maximum health benefits.
However, it has been observed that the amount of green tea for its optimal effect varies from disease to disease.
- Cancers: Studies claim that 5 cups or more of green tea consumption per day, lowered the risk of certain cancers like that of the prostate, breast, pancreatic, gastric and oral.
- Diabetes: Their observational study showed a decrease of 33% in the risk of developing type 2 diabetes in individuals consuming 6 cups or more of green tea daily.
- Heart disease: Risk of heart disease and stroke was reduced in people drinking 1 to 3 cups of green tea per day.
Based on the combined result of all these studies, the optimal consumption dose of green tea is considered at 3 to 5 cups per day.
It is also noteworthy that some studies did not find any correlation between green tea consumption and a decrease in the risk of developing diseases.
But the bottom line is clear. Green tea drinkers are healthier than those who do not drink green tea.
How to brew Green Tea for weight loss
Proper brewing of the green tea will make all the difference. Follow these general steps to make a healthy cup of green tea.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Leave it to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Then pour it over the green tea leaves.
- Let the tea brew for only a minute.
- Take out the leaves and serve the green tea.
There are certain points to ponder about brewing the green tea.
- Brew time can be extended or shortened according to your taste.
- Take care not to overheat the water as boiling destroys the beneficial catechins present in the green tea leaves.
- Some varieties of green tea are better fat burners as compared to others.
- Matcha variety of green tea is very nutritious and has more benefits than regular green tea, as in matcha the tea leaves themselves are dissolved in water whereas in regular variety the water is just infused with the tea leaves.
Diet suggestions for drinking Green Tea for weight loss
Green Tea with Avocado Smoothie
Blend half avocado, one banana, half cup hot water after seeping one tablespoon of green tea in it. This gives you a smoothie full of proteins, essential amino acids, and antioxidants.
Green Tea with Lemon and Ginger
Seep green tea in water after boiling it, for a few minutes. Take out the leaves. Squeeze juice of half a lemon and one teaspoon of grated ginger to it. Let it seep for 15 minutes. Enjoy your green tea enhanced by the added fat loss properties of lemon and ginger.
Green Tea Baked Goods
Matcha green tea powder is excellent for your baking recipes. Just put half a cup of matcha to your recipe to enjoy a boost of nutritious baked goodies with a beautiful green hue.
Tea-Infused Oatmeal or Rice
Turn your boring morning cereal into an explosion of antioxidants that will supercharge your health. Cook your cereal with green tea instead of milk or water to enjoy a healthy bowl of rice or oatmeal.