- Breast pump: A life saver
- A beautiful replacement for breastfeeding
- Breast pumping VS breastfeeding
A mechanical device that is used to extract milk from women breasts. They are in different forms depending on the need. They may be manual devices that are worked by hand or foot movements, and others are electronic devices that are powered by batteries.
- 1 A breast pump will always come in handy for breastfeeding women, there a number of ways in which you can see how useful it is:
- 2 Breast pumping instructions:
- 3 Mechanism of breast pumps
- 4 Important note:
A breast pump will always come in handy for breastfeeding women, there a number of ways in which you can see how useful it is:
Regulation of Breastmilk:
In simple ways, you can say that the more breast milk is needed, the more the body produces. That means that the breast milk will be produced according to the amount of milk removed from the body, that’s why a breast pump is best for this job, it manages the regulation of the amount of milk produced on an everyday basis.
Increase in milk quantity:
when a baby is born, usually a mother doesn’t have a right amount of milk, because at start the baby doesn’t need that much but sometimes the shortage can create some issues, so u can increase the milk supply using a breast pump, by using the pump frequently after every breastfeeding session. Sometimes they double pump to produce more milk as required for their children.
Breast Engorgement Elimination:
Some mothers have a high amount of supply when the baby is born, and that much might not be needed initially, so the breast pump comes in handy as it helps to store this milk so when the milk supply of a mother lowers the milk can be used to feed the child.
The breast pump is the only way a mother can store some milk and freeze it for later use.
Breast pumping instructions:
- Identify the correct shape and size of the breast pump it must cover up your nipples, but the walls of the pump must not touch or rub against your breasts.
- To have a proper flow of the milk supply, you must have to massage your breast before and during pumping.
- Adjust the maximum comfort vacuum that is the basically the level of pumping women can bare and does not have any discomfort.
- Double pumping can help reduce the original time to almost a half, in this case, your prolactin level is high, and you are able to produce a large amount of milk.
Mechanism of breast pumps
- Place the right size of breast shield over your nipples; the wrong size may cause pain, irritation, and
- Hold the shield at the right place with one hand and use the other hand to handle the plunging mechanism and squeeze to make the milk slip into the bottle.
- You can adjust the pump handle where appropriate you feel it is.
- Leaning forward can help the milk supply to flow more easily because gravity helps here.
- Continue pumping until you see that the milk flow slows down, while doing it manually it might take at least 45 minutes.
- Place the right side of the breast shield over the nipples which is about 24 millimeters in size, and if there is possibly supply from both breast you may manage to keep shields on both breasts, it helps to save a lot of time.
- Turn the electric pumping machine on and the pumping will be automatic in this case.
- If the milk supply is slow in this case, adjust the automatic suction as necessary, but make sure that this pumping isn’t painful.
- Try to remain calm during this process, because as much as you are calm, it increases the milk flow.
- Continue this process, as it is an automatic process it saves much time and it would take approximately 15-20 minutes.
- You can store the milk in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
- The milk can be freeze for months but don’t freeze it in bags and when needed to be used firstly refrigerate it and then it will be ready to be used.
- Don’t add fresh milk to the stored milk either the frozen milk or refrigerated milk.